August 10, 2017
The Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District is proud to announce the expansion of counseling services that will positively impact all students.
A clinically trained Student Support Specialist will be assigned to each comprehensive high school to address students who may need social emotional support. These specialists will work in conjunction with students, families, and site staff to ensure that a collaborative team approach is provided to meet student needs.
- Conduct group, individual and/or family therapy
- Walk in crisis management
- Assist with crisis intervention and treatment
- Wellness Center program management
- Attend parent nights
- Attend District level meetings
- Manage suicide prevention program
- Manage drug, alcohol and tobacco prevention programs
- Collaborate with school nurse, as needed
- Provide input on classroom guidance curriculum
- Communicate with school administration
- Serve as a community liaison to connect families with outside referrals/resources
- Attend case related meetings as needed by school staff including SST, 504, IEP, attendance, and disciplinary meetings
- Create and monitor individual plans with goals for each student
- Record and document all student contacts
- Assist with crisis intervention and postvention
- Attend all relevant trainings
The District is excited to announce the expansion of counseling services to elementary grade levels. To address the needs of our younger students, two clinically trained Student Support Specialists will oversee the elementary school programs. These service providers will work with administration, parents and site staff to provide preventative support, early intervention and postvention services to students in need.
We have dedicated a tremendous amount of time to assess student needs across the District, garner stakeholder input from all levels, and research counseling service delivery models in order to create a state of readiness for the implementation for a comprehensive K-12 counseling program. This program will include the expansion of our Naviance program to not only include high school but also the intermediate level. In addition to providing a wide array of resources and support for our parents and families through the PVPUSD South Bay Parents Connected website that is set to launch in the fall of 2017. This proposed plan will increase student services, increase student safety, provide an early intervention system, and offer preventative measures through educational seminars.
The expansion of PVPUSD counseling services is a significant change. According to Superintendent Don Austin,
It is not often when conditions and needs align perfectly to benefit everyone involved in a situation. Such a situation took shape a few months ago, and we were in a position to capitalize. In this case, PVPUSD is able to powerfully increase support services for our students through a fiscally responsible and tested approach.On behalf of our Board of Education, I would like to personally thank everyone involved in this process, including our counselors, the Palos Verdes Faculty Association, our Educational Services team, the Peninsula Education Foundation and our site principals. Together, they formed a model program that will serve as a source of pride for our community.