The California Department of Public Health and the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health recommend the following steps to prevent the spread of all respiratory viruses:
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Washing hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoiding touching eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoiding close contact with people who are sick are all ways to reduce the risk of infection with a number of different viruses.
- Staying away from work, school or other people if you become sick with respiratory symptoms like fever and cough.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. If you do not have a tissue, use your sleeve (not your hands).