Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District

Skip to main content

2020-2021 Alternate Grade Options for Grades 9-12


High School Alternate Grade Option Process

On July 1, 2021, Assembly Bill 104 was passed which outlines legislation on grade changes for the 2020-2021 school year.  Per this legislation, students in grades 9-12 during the 2020-2021 school year shall have the opportunity to request that the letter grade earned from any course in that school year as currently reflected on their transcript be changed to a Pass or No Pass grade.  Students have the option for a grade of Pass (P) in classes where they earned grades of A, B, C or D or a grade of No Pass (NP) in classes where they earned a grade of F.    
If you wish to exercise this option, please click on your school name below and complete the required form. This alternate grading option is only available to students who were enrolled in grades 9-12 in the 2020-21 school year.
High school students are cautioned in making this decision as it may impact their college admissions and/or qualifications for scholarships. High school students shall take full responsibility in reviewing the individual college admission policies for Pass (P) / No Pass (NP) for college admissions and/or scholarships. For the purposes of NCAA eligibility, students should refer to NCAA policy regarding alternate grade options and the impact of selecting a Pass/No pass option. The California Department of Education has provided additional information from post-secondary institutions regarding Pass/No Pass grading. Click HERE for more information.
The deadline to opt for alternate grades is August 16, 2021, without exception.

For more information regarding alternate grades, please see the attached parent communication from July 26, 2021

For additional information regarding AB 104 grade changes, credit recovery, and graduation requirements, please see the parent informational webinar, PowerPoint presentation, and FAQ document linked below.


HOW TO SUBMIT GRADING CHOICES (read all instructions before proceeding)

  1. Student/Parent will electronically submit the grading option request
    (for families with multiple students, a separate submission must be made for each student)

  2. A signature form must be included with the submission. You can access the signature form when you select your school below.
    (the signature form will need to be printed, signed and electronically attached to the submission form)

  3. If you wish to exercise alternate grading choice options, please click on your school name below to begin the process. 

PVHS  Peninsula HS  Rancho del Mar HS
High Schools