Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District

Skip to main content

Cal Grant, FASFA, and College Funding

California Education Code 69432.9, requires that parents/guardians of 11th grade students be notified of options regarding the Cal Grant submission process, prior to January 1st.  Each grade 11 pupil will be deemed a Cal Grant applicant unless the parent/guardian of the pupil opts out.  Students/parents who do not opt out, will have their name, date of birth and GPA submitted to the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) in the fall of their senior year.  This information will be later matched to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) that is submitted by the student/parent during the senior year.
Cal Grant Awards are free money provided by the State of California to help pay for the cost of college.  When your child is a graduating high school senior that meets academic, financial and eligibility requirements, you/your student may qualify to receive a Cal Grant.  Cal Grants can be used at any University of California, California State University or California Community College.  Some independent and career colleges or technical schools in California also take Cal Grants.  For more information about the Cal Grant, please visit
To be considered for a Cal Grant Award, two items are required:
  1. Submission by PVPUSD of a verified Grade Point Average (GPA) to the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) by October 1 of the student’s 12th grade school year.
  2. Submission by the student/parent of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in their senior year at
If you choose to opt out of the Cal Grant submission, your child may be ineligible to receive grant monies for college.  If you would like to opt out of the Cal Grant submission, you must select the opt out request option in your Aeries parent portal during the data confirmation process before September 15th of the student’s junior year.
California Education Code (CEC) § 51225.7 requires school districts to confirm that each 12th grade student completes and submits a FAFSA or CADAA. Students may opt-out, but must complete an opt-out form. If opting out, the form must be completed by a legal guardian/parent, the student (if the student is a legally emancipated minor or who is 18 years or older), or the District on the student’s behalf.
The Opt-Out form is usually available starting in November each school year.
You can download the Opt-Out form for 2023-24 and return to your counselor by April 2nd.
Submitting a Financial Aid Application Opt-Out Form does not prohibit a student from completing and submitting a financial aid application at any time in the future.
If you have any questions about the Cal Grant Programs, FAFSA, or the opt-out-options, please feel free to contact your high school's College and Career Center.